Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Answered Prayers

Two weeks ago, Alex got the flu. He threw up for two days, and had a fever for 4 days. I started to not feel so good myself, only my symptoms were swollen glands, sore throat, chills, all those yucky symptons associated with a bacterial infection...like strep throat. I called a local doctor associated with the clinic my kids go to, who agreed to squeeze me in even though I was a new patient, and he wasn't accepting new patients. He was great even though I drug three kids into the last minute apt. with me. He even rewarded their good behavior with a piece of candy, and not those dumb stickers that get stuck on my fridge or floor or table...  After examining me, he decided the best course of action was a good dose of pennicillin.  After 18 hours, I was feeling so so much better. But poor Alex was not. So I took him to see his doctor. I fugured once Alex's doc, Doctor N., heard I was on antibiotics, he would take that into consideration with Alex, who wasn't eating, sleeping or feeling well at all. I tried to give all the information I knew about Alex's symptoms I could. Doctor N. sent us down to the lab to have blood drawn to check alex's blood count. After the test, he simply said Alex had a virus, that is blood cell counts were normal, and that his fever would go away in a day or two. 
  We went home, and Alex didn't really get better. He would have times during the day when his fever went up, and he would go crawl into my bed and sleep (this happened more than once a day). He was cranky, and still not eating well.  Last Friday he developed a red spotty rash all over his abdomen and chest. I started freaking out. I kept debating if I should see anothet doctor for a 2nd opinion, or just wait it out. When things didn't get better over the weekend I decided that on Monday I would call the doctor who saw me, and see if he would take a look at Alex. Well Monday morning came, and I noticed Alex's Lymph node behind his right ear was swollen to the size of a ping pong ball maybe. It was so swollen it was making his earlobe curl upwards. I freaked out, and called his current doctor for another check.   The worst part was wondering if I had not explained myself well enough the first visit. I felt so bad for Alex, and I was so mad at myself. My poor child has been in pain, and I am his advocate, and I didn't do my job well enough. I felt sick inside. So this visit, I was a bit pushier explaining the symptons, and mentioniong that Alex had lost 2 pounds in the last 10 days, and still the doctor drew blood again to check his blood cell counts. Seriously, do you know how traumatic it is for an almost two year old to have his blood drawn...especially when they can't find a vein? He was such a trooper, and finally after having elevated blood cell counts, the doctor was sufficiently worried. he gave Alex a shot of strong anti-biotic right in his office, and sent us home with a prescription of oral antibiotic, and follow-up apt. for today.  
   Well last night, while pacing with Greta at 3 in the morning my mind started to go crazy. What if Alex didn't have a bacterial infection. What if it was sonthing worse? What if it would have been something worse and I hadn't been a big enough advocate for him? The thought scared me, and I said a prayer right then for help in two areas, first, that I would have help finding a new doctor for Alex. One that was confidant in his abilities, and that I felt listened to me. I wanted to change to the doctor I saw, but they are associated with the same clinic, and I don't want to offend Doctor N. And second, that the Savior wouldn't forget my stress and worry, and would comfort me and let me know he was there. 
    Well I took Alex into his follow-up this morning, and after yet another round of blood testing found his blood cell counts normal. So the anti-biotic is working. As I was checking out, the receptionist let me know that I needed to start thinking about finding another doctor because Doctor N. was LEAVING the clinic.  Then as I was just getting home and walking in the door, a message was being left on my answering machine from the Stake president's wife who is in our Branch, calling to see how I was doing, and to tell me she was thinking about me.  It is so comforting to know that even though I am a bit sleep deprived (and that is probably the reason for my small breakdown) that our prayers are taken seriously. And more than that, to know we have an advocate in our Savior who is always there.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow..poor Alex, and you. I am so happy to hear he is doing better. It truly is so amazing to know (and be reminded often) that our prayers are answered. You are so right, the Savior is always there- what a comforting feeling. Thank you for sharing and starting my morning off with the spirit!

Emily K. said...

Whoa, Mer, what a week! Sorry about that. I know how you feel. My 2nd child, Rohne, was a very sick baby. And, after countless Dr.'s telling me not to worry, and he just kept getting sicker, I finally learned the hard way. I now MAKE the Dr.'s listen to me, and, if they don't, I hit the high road. Don't even care about insulting, by seeing a new Dr. They have plenty of business without yours. You have to be comfortable with your Pediatrician. I have been through many, and now I have all the Dr.'s that I love. And, I know how you feel about the blood taking. Rohne had his blood drawn several times a week, and then we had to give him shots, too. It is sooo not easy on a 2 year old. Poor guy.

What a great way to put it into perspective, though. Hang in there.

Emily said...

Wow, I'm so glad you and Alex are getting better! That sounded like a miserable time for you. I wish I could have been around to help out. Love ya!

Mindy said...

The scariest times I've ever experienced was with sick kids. And usually undiagnosed circumstances. I'm so glad it has all worked out. Glad you're all recovering.

Susanna Landon said...

I cannot tell you how many times I have prayed for comfort over the worry of one of my sick kids. I am so glad to know that we are never alone to walk these roads by ourselves. I am so glad that Alex is better.