Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sleepy Turkey, Swollen Pregnant Lady and Black Friday!



Last year I posted a blog about how much I loved Black Friday. I think I included some shopping tips as well. You see after about 5 years of Black Friday shopping I have never not gotten an item I had set out to get on my priority gift list. Never ... until this year. Oh, how tables have turned for me this year. I don't ever want to hear the term Black Friday again.
For those of you still interested I will give the explanation. I really used to love B.F. (Black Friday) mostly because I love a good deal, and not the 10-30% off kind of deal, but the real, store-lost-money-on-that-one deal. For those who know me, you know this is true.
Last year was the best and most successful B.F. of all time. So I have been looking forward to this year for about 360 days. Well my B.F. plans started going south early on, and I should have known then to stop while I was ahead. Athens, Ohio is unfortunately not known for its shopping. I mean really, my B.F. options were Wal-mart, or...Big lots, or...Wal-mart. In an effort to save the day I decided to make it the best B.F. at Wal-mart possible. My routine of checking the ad started later than usual as I was up early preparing my first full Thanksgiving dinner for our family and Hans' sister's family who was in town visiting. I did prepare as much as possible ahead of time, but there is always a ton of work to do the day of, and by the time I got to bed, it was late, my ankles were swollen, and I still had not finished my shopping list. I hurriedly checked with Hans for approval and set my alarm for plenty of get-ready-in-the-dark time and driving time. I was all set. I even had my clothes laid out. Wal-mart opened at 5 a.m., and I was going to be there early to get what I wanted. I awoke in the middle of the night and checked the clock. It was 2:30 a.m. More time to sleep.
The next thing I know, I wake up to see the clock reading 5:04 a.m. WHAT? My alarm did not go off. I jumped up, much to the surprise of my poor sleeping fetus and still swollen ankles, and grabbed my clothes. I thought maybe I could salvage something. But honestly all I could think of was how mad I was. Did I eat too much sleepy turkey? Did I not prepare by resting enough on Thanksgiving? Yes and yes! Just before I flew out of the house I decided I had to go to the bathroom. I had consumed way too much Cranberry Sierra Mist and had so doomed myself. It was a good thing however, because when I got to the bathroom, I realized I had put my maternity pants on backwards in the dark. I couldn't catch a break!
Usually as I drive down the darkened roads I see lights just flickering on or people trying to get in their cars fast enough, or dark houses with cars in the driveway, and I think to them all secretly...suckers!!!! I'll get the deals because you are still sleeping, but this year all the empty drive ways mocked me.
When I got to Wal-mart, people were already leaving. I was almost crying, (mostly because I'm pregnant) and I just knew all the good stuff was gone. I had missed Black Friday. I didn't get two things on my very short shopping list. One of them was the main reason for participating. I roamed the packed aisles looking for my key item, hoping buyers had changed their minds and ditched it. Then I did the unthinkable; I considered swiping it out of a teenagers cart. What did a college student need a Furr Real Pet for? If she knew how much Holly would love it, wouldn't she just hand it over anyway? :(
It was at that point I put myself in check, checked out, and came home. I crawled back in bed with Hans and said four words I never thought would come out of my mouth. "I hate Black Friday!"
Maybe if I hadn't eaten so much turkey and woken up late, or if I hadn't taken time to pee and change my pants around, or even if I had driven a little faster, I would have that Furr Real Pet puppy right now. Sorry Holly. One day you'll read this, and I'll hope you know I tried.

2 comments:

Susanna Landon said...

Shoot! Poor Holly, but mostly poor you. You are pretty amazing to drag your pregnant body out at that hour.

Emily said...

This post was fun to read. I love the thought of those empty driveways mocking you. :) And I'm so sorry that I wasn't willing to go back to Walmart to find that toy for you! Better luck next year.