Monday, December 7, 2009

Cough, Cough,...


About 6-8 weeks ago, Hans came down with a cold. I felt so bad for him. He felt like garbage, and just kept going to work and teaching. Maybe he should have stayed home and rested but as a new professor, you don't really have the luxury of avoiding school for a chunk of time. I kept encouraging him to see a doctor... more like pushing him actually, because I didn't want to get sick. I hate being sick and pregnant.
  Eventually he did call a doctor, but because we are new patients the first apt. Hans could get was in December. Well while waiting for his apt. to come, I did myself contract the sickness and now am coughing away just like he was. It is annoying, and even a little scary when people ask if I have H1N1 and am going to die... what support (I am not by the way going to die form this cough. I am way too stubborn).   I did however call my OBGYN's office to get a consultation on the matter. Here is how the conversation went:

Me- "Hi I'm so and so and I was wondering if I might talk with a nurse or leave a message for one?"                  
Receptianist-"No. Our nurses are all with patients right now. What is your problem?"
Me- "I'm 33 weeks pregnant. I have a cough that has reached my chest and is not going away. I am having trouble breathing freely when I go up a flight of stairs or walk my son to the end of the drive to meet the bus. I was wanting to talk with a nurse so I know at what point I should worry."
Receptionist-"Are you Pregnant?"
Me-" Yes, 33 weeks." (I already said that...)
Receptionist- "You can take Sudafed or Robitussin over the counter. Have a good day."

   And then she hung up and that was it.  I have great medical insurance, and all I can get is free advice I already knew from a blasted receptionist. I found it interesting she didn't ask my name and barely didn't remember that I was pregnant. But more than that I was appalled that with pregnant women being close to the top of the list for H1N1 complications, she wouldn't refer me to a nurse when I say I'm having trouble breathing.
So I went to Walmart and purchased some sudafed and took it. I did notice a small improvement the first time I took it, but I also noticed less fetal movement, which scared the heck out of me. So although I didn't want to take it again, I finally broke down and took it again before church so I could get through my lesson with the sunbeams. It didn't do anything this time though, and since last Monday when I first called the doctors office I have noticed my cough is worse.
 Now I called again this morning and talked with a very nice Receptionist who allowed me to leave a message for a nurse and took all of my personal information down, and was very nice.
 I still cannot help being a bit irritated that I couldn't have the same service the first time I called. What practice actually allows their secretary to hand out medical advice? So far my medical care experience here is Ohio has been underwhelming compared to my experience in Missouri. Let's hope the nurse calls back and is helpful. Otherwise I will be using this expensive PPO plan to see my old doctor in Columbia when we visit in a couple weeks.

3 comments:

Heather Williams said...

What a crazy receptionist! Hope you get better real soon.

Emily K. said...

I'm loving all your posts, Mer. The Black Friday one is hilarioius. Hope you start feeling better soon. What a stupid Receptionist.

Hans K. Meyer said...

Sorry I got you sick, honey. You're right. We're both too stubborn to die from this.