Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Way Charity Really Works

This last week has been both a good week, and long week. First worth mentioning before I go too far is the fact that I did not blog every day in December like Hans challenged me to, however, he did. So congrats Hans on a blog well done! Okay so this week it snowed. It snowed everyday. Not a ton, but enough to cancel school for Lincoln Tuesday through Friday. He had 4 snow days this week. I don't think I ever experienced 4 snow days total in my elementary experience. Lucky Ducky is all I have to say. On Thursday afternoon it started to snow pretty heavily. So heavily that by the time Hans came home from school, about 5:30, he got stuck in our driveway. Luckily he and Lincoln muscled the car out while I drove it into the garage. He didn't have plans on going in on Friday because he figured the driving would be too messy. He was planning on working from home, but when Friday dawned clear and sunny he changed his mind and decided to brave the roads.
  I decided while he was showering I would get out the old snow shovel, and clear him a path in the drive to back out into and turn around. I didn't want him getting stuck again and having to push the car in his nice clothes. So I did just that. I dug a one car path leading from the garage door to a small area just big enough to turn around in. Than I figured the driveway goes downhill so momentum would do the trick. (I have to put a small disclaimer in here stating that I also did this shoveling in attempt to help myself dilate a bit. I am due on the 20th and not dilated, effaced, or anything.)
  By the time Hans left the house the shoveling did indeed work, but I was so tired. I started on the stairs leading up to our front porch meanwhile thinking that maybe this charity wasn't worth it. My hands were cold and my ankles were red where the snow had worked its way up my pant leg... And then the spirit taught me a lesson about charity. A nice man down the street, whom I have never met, came driving up the street on a quad with a small snow plow ion the front. he must have seen me shoveling and decided to come help finish the job. He not only plowed the remaining portion of the driveway to the road, but cleared a path so that we could get both cars out.  he then waved and left. I was touched and grateful for his charity, and simple gesture to help out. I kept thinking, "This is how Charity is really supposed to work." Usually we don't get to see the full circle of charity displayed before us, and I was humbled by this small teaching moment from the spirit.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I read this yesterday and thought, "really? shoving snow and THAT pregnant?" Then I heard the news today and I guess it worked!!! Congratulations Meyers!

Ginger said...

I am glad shoveling the snow helped the baby to come out. You are super woman for doing that when you were about to pop.