Thursday, March 5, 2009

Eternal Rewards last Forever

I've been thinking a lot today about selfishness; and more so, about what role it plays in my life. Well, two hours ago, Holly went in the bathroom to brush her teeth, gagged herself, and threw up in the hallway. Eight hours ago, Hans left to fly out to attend one of his best friend's wedding. (We are so excited he could be there to support Jon.) Doesn't it always seem to happen when the dad's are out of town? I just stood there frozen for a half second, and then I jumped in helping hold her hair out of her face, and rubbing her back. While cleaning the mess up, I had one question running through my mind... the same question that has been running through my mind most of the day. How would my life be different if I could be totally selfish? Would I have kids? A spouse? Would I be traveling the world? That is something I have wanted to do for a very very long time. I couldn't really come up with an answer that put my mind at ease.
I came downstairs to check my e-mail, and I decided to load some pictures I had lost last month. And then if clear as a bell, it dawned on me. If I were to be totally selfish in everything I did I wouldn't know how it feels to hold a cool cloth on a child's head while they throw up. I wouldn't know how exciting it is for a 10 month old to play Crocodile Dentist.
I would have missed watching my son come home on top of the world, and then listen to his account of how he had won the Valentine box contest at school with his Love machine, and received 4 candy grams from his friends.



I would have no idea how exciting school spirit is for a 6 year old. (Or how long it takes to count out 100 feathers for a cardinal!)


I couldn't have comprehended how fun it could be to pick out girl toys with my daughter! (Shout out to Aunt Susanna for the birthday gift card. Holly lost it, but found it later and just recently found some serious deals at Toys R us. Thank you Aunt Susanna!)
I would be totally oblivious to the fact that for a kid, there is nothing better than stripping down to t-shirts and underwear, crawling in a Military sleeping bag (super warm) after playing in the snow, while waiting for warm hot cocoa.

And I would never have known that after having two kids I love so much I could have just as much love for a third little puddin' head!Everybody has different dreams, and desires, and while at times I still find myself daydreaming about traveling to distant countries, or what it would be like to run a company... I can honestly say that having an eternal family is worth any sacrifice, ten times over!

6 comments:

Emily said...

I agree! That was so sweet.

Jennifer said...

What a great post, Merilee. I know those thoughts enter my head from time to time, but you are absolutely right.

Susanna Landon said...

traveling can wait. One day they will grow up and we will miss them. At least that is what everyone tells me!

Mindy said...

Too True, too true. I appreciated this blog MJ. Glad you posted it. I need to be grateful that I'm not a doctor or pharmacist or play-boy bunny. My time will come.

Hans K. Meyer said...

I appreciated it too. Even while I was being selfish traveling alone, I needed to remember what really makes me happy. Thanks Merilee! You are the best!

Meg said...

Now that I am a mommy, I got a bit teary-eyed reading this post...Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I can't wait to have those experiences with my little Ruby. Love you guys!